Monday, September 22, 2008

CALLING ALL ENTYMOLOGISTS


Here’s a little visitor to my porch screen this morning. She (I’m guessing that long appendage at the rear is an ovipositor, the same as female crickets have) was barely an inch long in body, not counting those impossibly long, thin legs. She must be the supermodel of grasshoppers. I’ve never seen one quite like this before, and she was very interested in me, too, following my movements and nervously shifting as I leaned in for the shot. If anyone out there can tell me more about this species, I’d love to learn. I tried searching on Google, found one photo of a similar hopper, but alas, it wasn’t identified. Whoever she is, she's all dressed for the Autumnal Equinox, which arrives in my neck of the woods at 11:44 EDT today.

7 comments:

magiceye said...

she indeed a supermodel with lovely long legs!

me ann my camera said...

I wonder if this might possibly be a female Tree Cricket? Tree Crickets are shaped just a little longer and narrower than other crickets. A female Tree Cricket wraps her wings around her abdomen giving it rather a longer, thinner looking appearance and Tree Crickets are light green in colour too, through I'm not sure if any have the beautiful pinkish/peach colour displayed on the back of yours. It is rather beautiful and intriguing isn't it. I'll be curious to see what you can find out about it. Good luck with your search.
ann

bobbie said...

It's a cute little critter, whatever it is.

Please check out my blog. I'm giving you an award. Do not feel obligated in any way. I know you are a Canadian, not one of us crazy, liberal, U.S. Democrats.

bobbie said...

OK. Now I have to correct myself. I am not a Democrat. I am an Independent. It just seemed an appropriate phrase.

Sylvia K said...

Alway love your critters and bugs especially this lovely model with the long legs!
Your site is always a lovely break from the rest of the world out there. Thanks!

Bob Dylan said...

Very nice visitor. I like her coloring.

Sian said...

What ever it is, I am glad with all my heart that it lives an ocean away!

Insects of almost all kinds freak me right out