Thursday, December 25, 2008

KICKING THE PAPER ON CHRISTMAS MORN!


In my family, we always opened presents on Christmas morning. The tradition was: I'd wake up real early, sneak downstairs in the dark, scope out exciting boxes under the tree and thrilling lumps in the stocking, go back to bed, wait to hear my parents getting up, go back downstairs, open one present each, have what seemed like an interminably long breakfast, open the rest of the presents. I remember one year, when I was still pretty young, once everything had been opened and laid back under the tree, my mother got up and shuffled around in all the loose ribbon and wrapping paper, kicking it up in the air and laughing, just because she was happy, I guess. It became part of the Christmas tradition ever after. My mom and me, and sometimes my dad would take a shot, too...from his chair...all of us laughing and kicking the paper.

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Merry Christmas, Deborah! Sounds as though you had a fun childhood with happy memories to look back on. Have a beautiful day!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Merry Christmas Deb... We always opened our presents on Christmas morning also. I used to wake my parents up REALLY early too.. AND--my 3 sons would wake me up early also--so I got paid back!!!! ha

Have a wonderful wonderful day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Great Grandma Lin said...

my grown son loves to do that and it makes quite a mess. makes you think with boxes and paper who needs gifts?

Anonymous said...

What fun - it's amazing how those little unplanned happenings become the best memories.

Squirrel said...

That sounds like a great tradition, as good as a pillow fight. We also open everything on Christmas morning (during or after a cup of coffee!) I remember my parents needing extra coffee on Christmas morning and still looking worn out.

hitch writer said...

Merry Christmas !!!! Nostalgia always strikes on festivals.... as kids it was a great life... eh !!

Shelley said...

What a great family memory!!

bobbie said...

Your tree is beautiful!

I love the tradition your family crated! It sounds like usch fun!

Raven said...

What a great tradition! Hope you had a merry day.