Monday, March 2, 2009

TCB

It’s Monday morning, and time to Take Care of Business, as Aretha Franklin would say. If you don’t recall that reference, don’t feel bad, it's only one of the greatest sources of misheard lyrics in musical history. It's that one phrase near the end of her signature soul song, “RESPECT" - that we could never quite figure out, until the age of the digital sound, the Internet and Karaoke, that is. If you are still stumped, here's what we're talking about. Sing it with me: R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find out what it means to me, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Take care, T-C-B (followed by all those "sock it to me's") So, let's get to it...


Item 1 Comet Lulin – the comet has now past it’s brightest peak in our night sky, and probably only visible with a telescope. But I did bundle up after midnight a few nights ago, and went out with my 10x50 power binoculars, stood (with my mouth open and my neck bent back at a very un-ergonomic angle!) and traced a path among the stars until I should have been in the right vicinity, but, alas, I just couldn’t find anything that looked green and fuzzy. Too bad, because Lulin won’t come round to earth again for another thousand years at least! I’ll have to be content with my memories of Hale-Bopp, back in 1997. Now that was a real treat to see!

Item 2 An Award! – The Cloud Messenger received an Honest Scrap award from Lisa, who has two delightful blogs many will know – Rambling of a Villas Girl and Villas Girl Photos. The award came to her via Camera Critters, and was actually written by one of her charming cats. So that is the spirit in which we will humbly receive it here. This award comes with the proviso that the recipient must tell 10 (or whatever) honest things about themselves. Our Pearl has volunteered (i.e. pushed herself past the other three cats into the limelight) to tell you a few things. So, take it away, Miss P…

I was born in 2000 in Turner Valley, Alberta. I had some siblings but…who cares about them. I am pure white, not a whisker or patch of any other color, and very very fluffy. “She” – the lady in charge of meeting my needs – calls me her Wooly Bully. I don’t know what that is, but it sounds like She’s dissing me. She also says I talk too much. Well, I have a lot to say. And every bit of it is important. But She makes fun of me, especially when I’m standing and crying at the door to the room I never get to go into (spare bedroom, She calls it). She says,“Oh dear, did Timmy fall in the well again?” I have three fellows here, Sweeney, who is my BFF, and Elliott, who is okay for an old guy, and Flash, who is kind of a wuss. Between you and me, I could take her any time I want, but I settle for a few good swats every once in a while. If I go too far, She gets out the Cat Behavior Modifier (i.e. Ikea spray bottle). Then I give everyone (except Sweeney) my worst squinty-eye stare for a while. She says I can be a real diva, a brat, and a new sance. I don’t know what any of those things mean, especially a "sance" but when she uses that tone of voice, I remind her that my people were worshiped in ancient times. Then She replies with, “Yeah, and you use the litter box just like everybody else." I don’t get nearly enough RESPECT. P.S. It was Her idea to use the photo of me cuddling up to Flash. Trust me, that kind of thing happens about as often as comet Lulin appears, but She had to go and catch it on camera. Okay, I'm done, when's lunch?

Thank you Pearl. (Flash looks pretty nervous, I thinkin'). And many thanks to Lisa, for the Award. I'm going to pass it along to Christine at Quiet Paths, who is also a Cat Staffer (as in "Dogs Have Owners, Cats Have Staff")




Comet photo at http://news.nationalgeographic.com

20 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Well Miss Pearl, I must say you are one beautiful looking lady. Sorry Deb, I wouldn't want to add to any feelings of superiority that she may have, but she really is!
I didn't know that about the Aretha song. What sorts of things do people think she's singing?

Kat

Oh, and of course congrats on that hefty award - and great choice to pass it on to Christine.

Great Grandma Lin said...

how funny and creative to speak in the voice of your cat...I remember Areatha Franklin and the song but didn't understand your explanation???

Sylvia K said...

Oh, Deborah! what a great post -- and do pass the word on to Miss Pearl that I was delighted to be able to read about her and that she is a DIVINE looking lady! Love Aretha!

bobbie said...

Do, please, let Pearl know how much we enjoyed her response to that challenge. She handled it superbly! Lisa's Baby will appreciate it too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Congrats Deb for the newest award. I'm sure Pearl enjoyed being the center of attention!!!! She's a beauty and reminds me of my cat (Snowball) which I had while in high school.

I didn't get to see the comet--so I'm glad to see a picture. Thanks!

Have a good day.
Hugs,
Betsy

Naturegirl said...

Deborah Ms. Pearl is one beauty for sure with cat-atude and so she should!I am thrilled knowing that you are a cat lover!They certainly are the best collectables..one can never have just one I say!! Congrats on recieving your award!
Last Fri. I enjoyed a dazzling sky show with the moon passing close to Venus..so bright!! The skies here at night are fantastic!!!The stars seem brighter and so close I feel I can reach up and touch them!! I must perfect my night shots so I can share! YES yes..give me a heads up on when it's safe to come home.LOL
stargazing in Arizona..NG

Quiet Paths said...

This was hilarious. Really enjoyed it; and it made my afternoon. I am still smiling!

Kathie Brown said...

I am the staff for 2 cats in my house who believe my sole purpose in life is to feed them, clean their litter box, and then sit in my chair where they can curl up in my lap and stay warm. If they had their way I'd sit there all day long!

On another subject, oh Great Song Expert, who is it that first sang the the song, "Where've You Been?" I used that title for my blog post today, but when I tried to research it only came up with Katty Mattea. However, I know someone else sang it first! Any ideas?

Aleta said...

Hehe, I love the "cat voice" on this post. Too funny.

But arggghhh, I can't get that song out of my head now!!

Kim said...

Congrats on your award. Pearl is a gorgeous gal and I enjoyed her story!!

Mary said...

Miss Pearl is quite a beauty, and I'm sure she knows it, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Is there a finishing school for cats that they all go to and learn this stuff? I think mine and yours were classmates.

Shelley said...

Miss P is so pretty and she definitely has a lot to say! My Marvin is the quiet type so I think he'd enjoy her company! :)

magiceye said...

pearl is a wonderful cat!

Wendy Naisa said...

Wooly Bully might like my CatiKu..

You can read it to her if you like, it's posted on my NaisaiKu.. Challenge! site this week.

Gemma Wiseman said...

What a fun post!

And Miss Pearl certainly offered a fascinating range of no nonsense statements.

Dianne said...

this is so entertaining!! I read it to Siren and Mia

siren thinks flash has a case for cat abuse for the photo of cuddling with Miss P. I assume siren will contact flash directly

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Deborah! You must thank Miss Pearl for me. She has a great personality and attitude.
She is a beautiful cat. As are all your cats. Lisa

Raven said...

I love the kitty photos and story. I don't know how you manage 4 cats as I find two to be quite abundant enough. Luckily they get along pretty well and when they do bat at each other it's so half-hearted that it's funny. Angel is naughtier than 10 cats and Tara is like your kitty - lots to say. She looks like a ballerina - tiny and delicate - but her new name is The Dread Pirate Tara the Gray because she sounds like a gangster. Don't know why I told you that. I enjoyed your kitty story.

Raven said...

Oh - and I forgot to say congrats on your award.