Wednesday, April 8, 2009

MORNING IN MY HOUSE


I've gotten into a habit over the past autumn and winter. I was going to say a "bad" habit, but then I changed my mind. Because I am happily retired, my time is completely my own, and if I want or need to stay up later working on a poem or my current manuscript, and then sleep in late in the morning, no one really cares, except possibly the cats. But I slept well all last night. No rolling over a half dozen times, turning on the flashlight, groping for the pen and tiny notebook, or worse yet, jotting something down in the dark that will look like automatic spirit writing in the light of day. And no rising, padding my way down the hall to the computer, blink and rubbing my eyes with my knuckles.

This morning I was up quite literally before the birds, and so was able to witness (and photograph) something I hadn't seen for quite some time - morning stealing softly into my little cottage-house. I realize
that over the winter months I've traded the noiseless movement of sunlight, the silent dancing rainbows made by sun-catchers in the porch window, for nights in front of a glowing screen with only the soft snoring of a cat to gently distract me. Or maybe gently aid me. Now that spring is here again, I can feel my inner circadian rhythms changing. It's not like I didn't know it will happen, but it still surprises and delights me every year.


16 comments:

bobbie said...

A lovely post, and lovely pictures as well.

Isn't it great to be retired and not have to watch the clock at all? The shackles are gone!

Blog Dona Ingrid said...

I like your blog!!!

Shelley said...

beautiful ode to the morning!

Great Grandma Lin said...

isn't the change in seasons interestng...we are noticing summer heat sneaking in-no longer wrapped in lap blankets while watching dvds in the evening, it got to be 78 degrees in our house last night with no heater on then or during the night. And it was 82 yesterday but hopefully we'll have a few more days of coolness. loved your photos. it is a luxury to be retired. I've never thought to take a flashlight and notepad to bed-not sure my hubby would understand but I do like to get up early and write.

Quiet Paths said...

I am nodding my head about morning; haven't reached the retired spot yet. Very lovely.

Small City Scenes said...

Isn't it delicious to be up very early in a quiet house and watch the sun move shadows across the room. Love It!

For some reason I always have a hard time accessing your blog but when I get here I thoroughly enjoy it. thanks. MB

Avid Reader said...

how nice that I am in sync with you~ i got up early today, played around with crystals --thinking I should hang a couple in a window and watched the morning unfold --dramatic sunlight then cloudy gloom, then sun again, and a dry fluttery snow fall that lasted all of four minutes, followed by sun again.
this seems to be the way of this day .

I love getting up before dawn during our hot summer months and walking down empty streets hearing the birds waken, knowing the afternoon will be unbearable makes walking up hills a real treat in the delicious coolness of mornings...

SandyCarlson said...

These are lovely shots of morning light. I am glad spring is working a lovely magic.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Another great post, Deb... I enjoy your posts so much because I never know what you are going to choose to write about.

We take things like sunlight making its way into our homes for granted. Thanks for sharing this with us.. We all need to appreciate these special little things which happen around us each and every day...

It's not just: "Stop and smell the roses". It's "Stop and check out the Sunlight".... Neat!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful, Deborah! Words and pictures and I do so relate! It is so lovely to have some soft light -- even without much sun -- slip into my windows in morning! And, like Bobbie, I love the freedom I have! The freedom that I never thought I wanted because I loved my joy and the company and the people I worked with. It took a while to adapt and it wasn't easy! What was I thinking, or was that the problem -- I wasn't!! Anyway, I'm with you all the way! AND, thank you for your kind and lovely words on my blog today! They are much appreciated!

Kim said...

Love your post today. Wonderful narrative and the gentle splashes of sunlight in your pictures sums it up perfectly.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post, Deborah. Morning is my favorite time of the day, and you captured the spirit of it perfectly!

Avid Reader said...

another sunny morning--I can't put any crystals in the windows as I have one cat who goes mad and slams himself against any reflection on the wall. I held up a big faceted crystal this morning and moved it so prisms danced all over the walls and floor --instant and complete frenzy. Years ago I had a giant ginger cat who never outgrew this "reflective craziness" but I'm hopping this little chappie does.

Ruth said...

I do enjoy early morning light and this is the best time of year to capture it, before the days get much longer!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh...I LOVE your house even more! And you have those "Pollyanna-like" crystals on your windows! (I don't know how to name them ;P)Do they make rainbows all around the room? :)

good work with your manuscript!

Kathie Brown said...

I love these little photographic vignettes. Good luck with your manuscript!