Monday, May 4, 2009

I'VE HAD IT!


My poor birdfeeder! The squirrels in the 'hood have figured out that the seed ports on my silo feeder are plastic, and therefore, eminently chewable. And chewing through them means that they can suck back birdseed at an even more alarming rate than ever before. I go out and collect the bits and pieces they so carelessly toss aside, armed with a roll of duct tape, but it never lasts. I thought hanging it in the lilac bush would make it difficult for them to access the feeder, because of the slim branches and twigs surrounding it. But these Eastern Grey Squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) quickly learned to hang upside down by their hind toes from the slightly larger branches, and just swing on over to the seed (therefore I am hereby renaming them Sicurus Greatae Wallendii).

As you might imagine, the enormous fun of taping the feeder back together drops off rather sharply after, oh I'd say, the FIRST time. So today I took that other essential piece of plastic (Visa) and headed down the road to the Pelee Wings Nature Store, and picked up a new feeder, guaranteed to stand up to the worst they can offer. It's by the Droll Yankee company, and if price is any indication, this one should leave the squirrels gnashing their teeth in frustration for a long long time. It has an extra hard tube, and metal seed ports. HA! Take that, you thieving (but, okay, adorable) critters!

14 comments:

Avid Reader said...

I make little peanut butter sandwiches and put seed on the ground which distracts most of the squirrels --they do a lot less damage to the feeders if they get fed first. I tried those corn cobs and they weren't interested in them at all. They like suet though, I buy a cheap vat of peanut butter at costco for squirrels and use less than fresh bread to make their treats. Then the birds who don't like to ground feed get a break.

Great Grandma Lin said...

wow the problems of bird feeders, sounds a bit like Kay's birds who were determined to build a nest under their roof. Will be interesting to see who wins.

Shelley said...

Good luck w/ your new feeder!!
I've been bribing the squirrels w/ their own treats and I put a couple feeders on a shepherds hook (far away from trees so they couldn't leap on it) along w/ a baffle and that seems to be working well.

Kat Mortensen said...

So you caved, huh? Got the Visa and boutht the "tough" feeder? We'll see, right? Watch out for "Mighty Mouse" the chin-up guy, he heard about your feeder and could be heading your way. (He likes a good challenge!)

Kat

Kim said...

I am knocking on wood because so far the squirrels have not damaged my feeders. I only have one feeder w/ black oil sunflower seed which is in a cage and so far they have not been able to figure it out. They have cleaned out my standing feeder though which I am leaving dry this summer. Besides that I only feed thisle in the summer. I hope they leave your feeders alone as I know how frustrating it can be.

bobbie said...

From the looks of your old feeder, the squirrels really did a number on it. Good luck with this one.
I am no friend of squirrels. Have had far too many encounters with them under various circumstances in my lifetime.

Unknown said...

We always try to have strong fundamentals, but no matter how much we try life is more "duct tape, caulking, and bailing wire" than anything else ... bird feeders included.

Beth P. said...

poor defenseless creatures; trying to feed their families...

Grins!

Thanks for the smiles--

Cloudia said...

Don't piss off
or
ON
Da Faries!! LOL

Good luck, Dear!!

Aloha

magiceye said...

loved that last image!!

Gemma Wiseman said...

O how frustrating! I love animals but this scenario really needs some sorting. Love the idea of Avid reader attempting to feed the squirrels first! We feed our kookaburras before other birds just so they can get some attention before the butcher birds and magpies push their way in!

Indrani said...

Good luck to you with the new feeder. :)

Rose said...

Your post made me laugh...

Raven said...

Gray squirrels are nothing if not innovative little buggers. My parents tried every trick they could think if (including the Droll Yankee) and never really defeated them. You may find that they hang on the feeder itself... it's been a while but that's how I remember them defeating that one.