Sunday, May 17, 2009

A QUIET PELEE MORNING



The lake is calm, with a few shadows and clouds following the line of the Point Pelee peninsula. There are a lot of orioles around my place this year, and for a few moments their liquid song fills the air. The boat is one of the vessels from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, monitoring fish levels for a commercial impact study.

Thanks to Poetikat for recommending me to Squirrelmama's blog, to help solve the mystery of the rather strange-looking squirrel I posted about yesterday. You can read her detailed comment if you scroll down, but the short answer is - the squirrel is moulting. So much for my cowboy theory! Anyway, I still find it hard to believe that I've lived around squirrels all my life, like most of us have, and yet never noticed this annual event. Now that I've seen my friend Elaine's photos, I'm going to give spring squirrels even more attention.

11 comments:

Great Grandma Lin said...

fascinating info about squirrels, glad you lake is over it's winter storms...liquid song of birds-nice phrase.

xxx said...

Beautiful photo of your lake.
I too have never seen a squirrel that looked like the one in the photos, but squirrels are not something you see very often if ever here in Australia ;-)

thanks for your visit and kind words too...
best wishes
Ribbon

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful, serene photo, Deb... Happy Sunday to you!!!!

I've never heard of squirrels moulting either... Guess we all have learned something..

Hugs,
Betsy

david mcmahon said...

That's s really tranquil morning.

Sylvia K said...

The photo of your lake is gorgeous and so peaceful!

And thanks for the infor about the squirrel. That's fascinating! I've been, like all of you, around squirrels all my life and never saw one do that! I'll have to pay more attention, too! Thanks, Deborah!

Rose said...

Such a serene scene!

My Mama Squirrel does not molt...not like that for sure. Every now and then she will have patches that are thinned down, but we assume it is her pulling fur to line her nest with.

SandyCarlson said...

I didn't know squirrels did that. I will sit and admire this photo and contemplate that I know so little about squirrels.

Shelley said...

I saw my 1st Oriole today! Hope that's a sign of warmer weather. Glad to know the squirrel mystery was solved.

Indrani said...

Oh! So it was molting!Ignorance does make things look strange, like it did yesterday for me.;P

Quiet Paths said...

A liquid morning indeed!

I don't care if they ARE molting like birds; it's still weird.

Ruth said...

Thanks for the squirrel explanation. I would love to put myself in the middle of your first paragraph.