Thursday, June 18, 2009

SKYWATCH FRIDAY – Home Safely To Me (Lake Erie)


The sails aren’t red, but the sun is definitely setting. I apologize for this photo being a bit fuzzy--the two sailboats were moving at a pretty fast clip, and I didn’t want them to get too far from the light, so I had to work fast. It seemed odd that the boats were heading out so late, when the sun was so close to being down, plus further along the lake it looked like a storm was brewing. Not long after I took this shot the boats turned and hurried back to the marina, so they must have thought better of their plans, too.

POST TITLE TRIVIA
Red sails in the sunset, way out of the sea
Oh carry my loved one home safely to me

Red Sails in the Sunset - Music by Hugh Williams (aka Will Grosz) and lyrics by Jimmy Kennedy; published 1935. The song was written about Portstewart, a seaside town in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland.


To view more skies from all around our beautiful planet, or to join in, visit SKYWATCH. Live links after 2:30 p.m. EST time or 19:30 GMT

16 comments:

bobbie said...

A very lovely, nad rather romantic picture.

Sylvia K said...

Yes, I agree with Bobbie, truly lovely and romantic shot! Such gorgeous colors. Does make you want to sail away into the sunset!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo, but having once weathered a big storm in a small boat, I am most glad to hear that they came back to shore.

Dianne said...

I really love the light on the water

Great Grandma Lin said...

i like your photo especially with the sunset off on the side.

Shelley said...

Beautiful photo - the combination of the boats and sunset looked so lovely!

Kathie Brown said...

Deborah, I like that little couplet. Did you write it? Lovely pastel sunset too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I remember that song, Deb... It was popular when I was a kid...

Great photo--showing the sun AND the sailboats. Amazing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Quiet Paths said...

This looks like a painting my Grandmother had up on her wall in Billings. I can see why you were pressed for a capture; they must have been moving with such full sails.

Indrani said...

I am not finding the picture fuzzy, it is a beautiful greeting card shot.

Cloudia said...

A lovely post!
The caribean is like a friendly, great tub.
the atlantic is brown drown stormy;
the pacific is BIG but blue and magical, comnquered by canoes,
BUT Great Lakes scare me for some reason. Yeeeeeeeek!
Aloha-

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember that song.
After seeing what the wind does on that lake, I sure wouldn't be heading out in the evening, even with a beautiful sunset. Much better to admire it from the shore.

Beth P. said...

the prayers of sails...

Thanks, Deborah!
Next week??

SandyCarlson said...

This is a beautiful composition!

Rose said...

Oh Deb, that is a beautiful image! No need for apologies in my opinion.

magiceye said...

that is a gorgeous image!