Sunday, September 20, 2009

IT TAKES A VILLAGE

Here's some of the gems of wisdom and info I've picked up recently in my little village on the lake.



For the nature nuts...
One of my neighbors further down the road in Kingsville posted this cool LINK on her Facebook wall, about dragonfly migrations at Point Pelee. Apparently some species of dragonflies migrate just like the monarchs. Who knew?!


For the domestic divas...
I was in the hardware store (repeat, the hardware store) getting patio paint yesterday, skimming through their fall advert flyer. I was expecting to find blurbs about gas heaters, insulation, and furnace filters, but instead found recipes for minestrone, and for pumpkin dressing! Plus, I learned that it's stuffing when it's cooked in the bird, and dressing when it's cooked in a separate pan. In a hardware store. Who knew?!

And now my patio whistles its 'Ss'...
Okay, so Autumn isn't quite here yet; there's plenty of time to get the patio finished. The boys were here yesterday, and, as you can see, got everything ready to replace the old rotten board in the middle.
The color is called Tree House, and it has anti-UV stuff in it, and other built-in stuff to protect the wood from whatever Lake Erie throws at it. Who knew?!

Dragonfly and dinner photos from Wikimedia Commons.

14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Never thought of recipes/menus at a hardware store???? Who knew! I can see you've had as interesting a weekend as I've had! Who knew, indeed!!

Ah, well, another week begins tomorrow -- or did it begin today?? I've already lost track!

Whatever -- enjoy!!

Ruth said...

It is amazing in turn the things I learn from blogging friends. (always wondered about stuffing vs dressing)

bobbie said...

Glad you're getting your patio taken care of before winter sets in. Looks as if my handicap ramp will go into it without a new coat of paint or anything. Guess I didn't start nagging for it early enough. It takes my son a long, long time to get around to things.

Rose said...

I learned something new here today! About stuffing and dressing...but I will still call it stuffing.

That was also news to me about some dragonflies migrating.

SandyCarlson said...

You're busy! These are great shots. And I am happy to learn the difference between dressing and stuffing. I never knew. I thought it was a regional difference in usage.

Great Grandma Lin said...

fun posts, puts you in the mood for turkey stuffed with dressing...lol!

david mcmahon said...

Love the light on that dragonfly....

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh My---so much information!!!! Thanks Deb... I didn't know that about dragonflies migrating. AND--I think I knew that about the dressing/stuffing --although I thought it just depended upon where you live. I grew up with my mother making bread dressing ---so to this day, I don't care for cornbread dressing.. AND--I don't think I've ever called it stuffing....

Thanks for the education today!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Kathie Brown said...

I'm looking at that green grass and thinking that soon it will be covered with snow! Glad you have such a nice little village to help you out!

Anonymous said...

Deb, I think the dragonflies we saw must have been migrating. Thanks for posting that link.

I wish we had used that color on our porch. It is nice, and won't show the wear so much. Sounds like you have been busy.

Did you know there was a bad pumpkin crop this year? There was a notice on the shelf in the grocery, in the place where the pumpkin pie filling usually is.

YourFireAnt said...

I did not know that about stuffing and dressing. Getting close to Th'giving, must be. Recipes in the hardware store. It gives me an idea.

T.

Quiet Paths said...

Well, gee whiz I thought I knew the difference! Fun, fun.

Regina said...

Beautiful and fun. Great post.

John said...

To say that times change is an understatement. I definitely didn't know dragonflies migrate like butterflies. Wow!