Wednesday, September 24, 2008

LET’S DO LUNCH


I think I have mentioned this before, but in case not, the town I currently live in, Leamington, Ontario, is known as the Tomato Capitol of Canada. There’s a huge Heinz processing plant at the heart of the town, and acres and acres of farmland and greenhouse fanning out into the surrounding countryside (except for the lake, of course). Farmers bring their tomato harvest in with big tractors pulling tandem trailers piled high with ripe red fruit, on their way to weigh in and off-load and go back for more. It never fails, a number of tomatoes fall off, and end up rolling towards the curbs; some get run over by traffic in the process. Either way, the streets of Leamington are very colorful this time of year. Driving around these days, it can smell either spicy or soupy, depending on what they’re making that day. Never fails to make me hungry.


6 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I love tomatoes! I'd probably be running along after the trucks, chasing the fall out! At any rate, I'm now hungry, guess it's time for breakfast. Great pictures!

Kathie Brown said...

I was wondering how they could transport them that way without bruising them but then I realized that for ketchup--it doesn't matter!

bobbie said...

When I worked for California Packing, about 58 years ago, we had a field trip to Camden, NJ to tour the Del Monte ketchup factory. Smelled it long before we got there, and I really didn't like that. Too sweet. We ate lunch there, and I could hardly get it down. But it was an interesting trip.

magiceye said...

:) must be fun crunch time!

Indrani said...

Those trucks laden with tomatoes make such a wonderful, delicious sight.

me ann my camera said...

Wow, shades of Stompin' Tom, and .."another big load of potatoes", oops, I mean tomatoes! Its interesting how some towns proclaim their presence and activity by their smell. Drive by Florenceville, NB and smell the fries!!